Interesting case in Long Island, NY, where 15 Ward Melville High School players were suspended for photos found on Facebook.
Fifteen high school lacrosse players learned the hard way to be careful what you display on Facebook.
The players from Ward Melville High School posted photos of a night of drinking, classmates said.
Ward Melville school district officials apparently saw those photos and promptly suspended the fifteen players for today’s home game against Smithtown.
The drinking incident happened April 16 at a private home, school district officials said in a written statement. But the statement did not specify what happened, whether it was heavy drinking, hazing or something else.
Six of the players have been suspended indefinitely, the district statement added. It’s unclear why those players are being singled out.
But all violated the district’s athletic code of conduct, according to the statement, which added that players “have an obligation to themselves, teammates and the school community to abide by that agreement.”
Interesting comment found at NBCNewYork.com:
I still don’t get why people want to be seen clutching alcohol in photos on the web, or why they are still ‘learning’ this stuff after 5 years of Facebook. Don’t they realise these photos will still be out there in 50 years. Probably mashed up into numerous email joke, de motivational pics by then. Do they think it’s cool dude? Like smoking was cool in the 80s?
Good point about Facebook. These kids have probably had a Facebook account for years… How could they not expect trouble? Don’t they know about privacy settings? But I digress. Your thoughts?
– Major League Lacrosse brings game to UAlbany [TimesUnion]
– Orlando Titans plan fan fest before playoff game Saturday [Orlando Sentinel]
– Brockport’s postseason chances take hit [The Stylus]
– The Lax Guys’ National Boys’ Lacrosse Rankings [LaxPower]
– New Jersey: Vikings lacrosse team looking to finish strong [Sentinel]
– Philadelphia: Washington Twp. beats Gloucester Catholic in lacrosse [Inquirer]
– Utah: Park City High School drops nail-biter at Waterford [Park Record]
– California: Second straight win for Woodcreek lacrosse [Granite Bay]