Tierney’s arrival spurs Denver’s success [via ESPN.com]
EAST HARTFORD, Conn. — The most surprising aspect of Denver’s 9-8 win over Fairfield at Saturday’s ESPNU Warrior Classic opener wasn’t the result of the game. It was the number of Pioneers fans in the stands at Rentschler Field in East Hartford.
Denver joined the ranks of Division I lacrosse in 1999 and has seen its profile rise slowly within the sport in the past decade. Under former coach Jamie Munro, the Pioneers put together seven winning seasons, including an NCAA tournament appearance in 2008. (Denver lost in the first round to Maryland, 10-7.)
But the move that garnered the Pioneers the most headlines took place off the field this past June, when Denver announced the hiring of Bill Tierney to replace Munro. Tierney, one of the game’s most accomplished coaches, built Princeton from doormat to powerhouse, winning six national championships and 14 Ivy League titles.
The move gave Denver — and lacrosse west of the Mississippi — instant credibility.
Google Search video by a Syracuse Lacrosse fan:
Watch the PNCLL Final Four LIVE This Weekend @ PNCLLChamps.com
- Champion to Sponsor Ivy League’s First Lacrosse Tournaments [BusinessWeek]
- How to confuse a lacrosse fan [Princeton Alumni Weekly]
- Loyola (Md.), Denver primed for showdown for ECAC lacrosse title [USA Today]
- No. 8 Oregon Aims to Recapture the PNCLL Crown [LaxPower]
- St. John’s Plays Sacred Heart In Final Road Game Of Regular Season [STJ Athletics]
- Edmonton Rush pumped for afternoon tilt [Slam Sports]
- Team Registration opens for Gotham Lacrosse today. Looking forward to another great Summer of lacrosse at Columbia University. [GothamLacrosse]
- Under Armour/Inside Lacrosse Power Rankings: Haverford School is 18th, La Salle 20th [PhillyLacrosse.com]
- Oregon: Pacer boys lacrosse tops WL again [Lake Oswego Review]
- Colorado: Arapahoe lacrosse bulls past Cherry Creek [The Villager]
- Boston: Lacrosse wins battle for Izzo [Boston.com]
- Massachusetts: Deerfield Academy a polished gem of lacrosse power [MassLive.com]
- New Jersey: High School Top Performer: Mike Luongo, Freehold Township [NJ.com]