Mr. Gaudet recently caught up with former University of Denver head coach Jamie Munro while he was visiting Boise, Idaho for a recruiting clinic. After a session with area high school players, Munro took some time to give us the run down on his new company “3DLAX“, the spread of the game to new areas, and offer some tips to developing players. Enjoy!
Please excuse the shaky camera. It was a heavy coffee kind of morning.
NEWS & NOTES
- Navy Opens 2010 Lacrosse Season with 16-5 Win Over VMI.
– No. 17 UMass lacrosse gets lift from Longmeadow duo in season-opening win.
– Gonzaga Tops Central Washington in Overtime, 6-5.
– USC Lacrosse has updates from their showing at the Pac-10 Shootout.
– Salisbury 2010 season preview.
– The Edmonton Rush fell to the Toronto Rock 16-7.
– The Fort Mill Lacrosse Club has become an official high school sport.
– What does lacrosse and New York Fashion Week have in common? Well…
For the debut Gant by Michael Bastian collection, aimed at what the designer envisions as the more casual “younger brother” of his existing customer, Bastian chose a lacrosse motif.
What’s that? Not familiar with one of the oldest team sports in the Americas?
Neither was Bastian, who told me at the fall/winter 2010 presentation (appropriately enough staged at St. Anthony’s Memorial Gym in New York’s SoHo district) that he’d never played it — or even attended a school that fielded a team.
He said the inspiration actually came last year after reading a New Yorker article on the game (I’m guessing it’s this one), which has its roots in the Huron and Iroquois Native American nations.
“It’s a perfect fit for a brand with Gant’s sporting heritage,” he said. “It’s under-appreciated as a sport, and it’s the real deal.”
Full article here. Thoughts?