Editor’s note: Each week we’ll be posting special Music Mondays by readers, for all the LAS world to see! All you have to do is follow the rules laid out in last week’s last week’s Music Monday post (click on the link for rules!), email your answers in to firstname.lastname@example.org, and then wait to see if YOUR list is chosen! We start off with a quick introductory Music Monday Madlib, and then get right to the tunes!
Hey there! My name is Sean and I would describe my musical tastes as well outside the norm. I love lacrosse more than any other sport, but Music is also one my major interests because I love the expressive qualities. If I weren’t a writer, I’d probably be a professor of philosophy. Neither work nor Internet forums can prevent me from happily getting lost in thought. Check out my meandering and overthought Music Monday, and educate yourself before my greatness!
- Favorite Song EVER: “Seven” by Prince
This one was painfully hard. My favorite song depends on my mood, where I need the music to take me, and what I need to do. I suppose there is really just one answer, though. There is simply so much going on in this song, so much depth. Prince is a genius. Absolutely a genius.
Close selections: “Lola” by the Kinks (really anything off that album) and “Hungry Like the Wolf,” Duran Duran. That’s because these songs have the two greatest lyrics ever written. “Lola” has the line “I know what I am, and I’m glad I’m a man, and so is Lola.” “Hungry Like the Wolf” has the amazing line “I smell like I sound.”
- Best Pre-game Song: I’ve put so much thought into this, it’s crazy. There are a number of go-to pump ups that make me wanna rip someone’s head off. “Sabotage” by the Beastie Boys, “Kashmir” by Led Zeppelin, “Thunderstruck” by AC/DC. The cover of Seal’s “Crazy” by Mushroomhead….there are a million.
But I have to go with the German punk band Die Toten Hosen and the song they did for the Tomb Raider soundtrack: “In Control.”
I could run to the moon I get so pumped after hearing this song.
- Best Post-game Song: This one’s easy. “Brickfield Nights” by UK punk band The Boys.
“Woke Up This Morning” – the full version, with the spoken intro – by Alabama 3
“Carnival in Rio (Punk Was)” – again, Die Toten Hosen, this time featuring Ronald Biggs, one of the robbers in the Great Train Robbery.
“Rocks” – Primal Scream
“Four on the Floor” – Spiderbait
- Favorite NEW Song Most People Haven’t Heard Yet: Hrm. If “You Outta Know” by Das Racist qualifies as new according to Connor (Editor’s note: Connor is old and doesn’t know better!), then I’m going with “iamundernodsguise” by School of Seven Bells. haunting, ethereal, driving.
- Other: Pick any track, and tell us why you like it! “Jack Pepsi,” by TAD. Tad was a band that was one of the first grunge bands, and because of that, never really made it. (That, and the Pepsi lawsuit didn’t help) They got Nirvana their first extended tour. “Jack Pepsi” just makes me nostalgic for all of the stupid shit I did as a teenager.