For those interested, please do check out LOC’s discussion thread. The Warrior commercials Sig talks about are there, and I think you’ll be blown away by how similar they are to LOC’s concepts.
In 2006 Warrior approached LOC (www.leftofcentre.org), a small production company based in Detroit, MI, to put together some concept videos for them. As you alluded to in your blog, Warrior’s videos were rather weak. The commercials were pretty much a bunch of frat boys sitting around talking about how cool they are (or lacrosse highlight clips); most of the commercials weren’t very entertaining, and at times, downright terrible.
So we put together the aforementioned concept video for them in just a week. The ideas we circulated over dinner we’re simple:
1. Stop trying to be so cool in your videos. Make fun of the sport and the pros a bit.
2. Take it "out of the box." Every lacrosse equipment video does not have to be about lacrosse.
3. Let’s use the lacrosse equipment as props in an unrelated skit or two.
4. Shoot it as a training and fighting video. Use the lacrosse stick as a sword. Instead of a lacrosse player, you could go with a ninja, a crazy animal or comic warrior.
5. Obviously, we are partial to communist propaganda, which would guide our thematic choices.
Upon viewing the skits, the Warrior Lacrosse representative said that our ideas were not what they were looking for – a little too out of the box. To be sure, we were disappointed, but then again, we didn’t have high hopes that Warrior would make such a drastic change in their commercial themes. In order to not throw away all the work, we immediately decided to post the preliminary skits on our website as the rejection video you saw.
Two years later, we have come to find out that these same 5 concepts are the focal points of new Warrior commercials. It looks like it took them a while, but they finally got around to our recommendations, even if they didn’t give us credit.
Let’s just hope that Warrior doesn’t continue to pursue the communist propaganda route without giving LOC some real props. If that happened, we’d have to go after them like Stalin after Trotsky.
For continued discussion threads, please see our message board: