The Tewaaraton Foundation has announced the men’s and women’s finalists for the 2017 Tewaaraton Award, presented by Under Armour. Five men and five women were selected as finalists and will be invited to Washington, D.C., for the 17th annual Tewaaraton Award Ceremony on June 1.
2017 Tewaaraton Men’s Finalists:
- Trevor Baptiste, Denver – Jr., Faceoff
- Connor Fields, Albany – Jr., Attack
- Matt Rambo, Maryland – Sr., Attack
- Ben Reeves, Yale – Jr., Attack
- Patrick Spencer, Loyola – Soph., Attack
2017 Tewaaraton Women’s Finalists:
- Nadine Hadnagy, Maryland – Sr., Defense
- Olivia Hompe, Princeton – Sr., Attack
- Marie McCool, North Carolina – Jr., Midfield
- Kylie Ohlmiller, Stony Brook – Jr., Attack
- Zoe Stukenberg, Maryland – Sr., Midfield
Ben Reeves (Yale) is the only returning finalist from 2016, while Kylie Ohlmiller becomes Stony Brook’s first Tewaaraton finalist and Trevor Baptiste (Denver) is the first faceoff specialist to be a finalist for the award. All 10 finalists will compete in this month’s NCAA Tournament, at the conclusion of which the selection committees will vote on and select the 2017 winners.
“The Tewaaraton Foundation congratulates these 10 finalists that have been chosen by our selection committees from such an amazing pool of talented players this season,” said Jeffrey Harvey, chairman of The Tewaaraton Foundation. “We look forward to welcoming each of them and their families to Washington, D.C., on June 1, and we look forward to following along throughout the playoffs to see who emerges in this wide-open race.”
The Tewaaraton Award annually honors the top male and top female college lacrosse player in the United States. Finalists come from a pool of 25 men’s and 25 women’s nominees that were announced April 28. The selection committees are composed of 16 men’s and 17 women’s current and former college coaches.
The guidelines for finalists and recipient selections are as follows:
- Finalists will be the best five players chosen without regard to institution.
- Finalists will be selected based on individual performance and a player’s contribution to the success of their team.
- Finalists are chosen based on the current year’s regular-season performance (date of selection is at the conclusion of the regular season, before playoffs).
- Recipients are chosen based on the current year’s regular season and playoff performance.
- Sportsmanship can play a role in the selection process and it is important that the
recipient upholds the mission and values of the Tewaaraton Award.
Under Armour returns as the proud presenting sponsor of The Tewaaraton Award in honoring the top collegiate lacrosse players in the United States.
This year’s initial Tewaaraton Watch Lists were announced on Feb. 28 and included the top 50 men’s and women’s college lacrosse players in the country. Two rounds of additions to the Watch Lists were announced, on March 16 and April 6.
For more information on the Tewaaraton Award, how to donate to this non-profit or to attend these exciting events, visit Tewaaraton.com.[mks_button size=”large” title=”Click here to get tickets to the event” style=”squared” url=”https://www.501auctions.com/tewaaraton/” target=”_blank” bg_color=”#1e73be” txt_color=”#FFFFFF” icon=”” icon_type=”” nofollow=”0″]