Here is your daily weekday update on the latest on what is happening in the lacrosse world. Richmond Lacrosse upset No. 6 Virginia in a women’s showdown, a shot to the helmet you’ve likely never seen before, our NAIA Players of the Week were released and more are all on today’s Crosse Clicks for February 27.
Crosse Clicks: February 27, 2020
- The Loyola – Towson matchup was our featured game yesterday which No. 11 Loyola won 15-6. It was an 8-5 advantage for the Greyhounds that Loyola then outran the Tigers in the fourth quarter on a 7-1 goal run. You can read more about the game here. Loyola moves to 3-1 on the season while Towson drops to 0-4.
- The Navy – Maryland Men’s Lacrosse game that was meant to be played last weekend but was postponed due to the norovirus is now thought to no longer happen this season. Navy and Maryland have played every year since 1946 but may not happen as the two programs can’t agree on a makeup date. Not a huge surprise, but you can read more about it here.
- You wanted upsets this college lacrosse season and Richmond Women’s Lacrosse delivered. One of the biggest upsets this week in NCAA Women’s Lacrosse happened last night as an unranked — although very good — Richmond lacrosse team crept into Klockner Stadium last night and handed the No. 6 Cavaliers their first loss of the season in overtime. The Spiders have been slowly sneaking into the awareness of NCAA Women’s Lacrosse, as they’ve now caught five teams in their clutches en route to their 5-0 record. All of the games thus far for Richmond have been blowouts except for last night’s overtime win. You can read about the game here. The Spiders could take a significant bite out of the NCAA this year if teams are not careful. Virginia, on the other hand, has had its undefeated showdown with No. 1 North Carolina spoiled this weekend, as the Wahoos will look to avenge last night’s loss against a Tar Heel team that shows no signs of ever slowing down.
- In what is a really heartwarming story, Penn State Women’s Lacrosse held a special “Draft Day” for Abigail Marinaro. Abigail is a 10-year-old with cystic fibrosis and was made a special member of the team. Read about it here.
- Brodie Merrill set the NLL‘s all-time loose balls record over the weekend. Congratulations to an iconic player on the major milestone. Watch a video about it here.
- We released our NAIA Players of the Week yesterday, which you can read about here. Stay tuned for future polls and other special features throughout the season.
- The MCLA released its polls for Week 2, with South Carolina and Minnesota-Duluth sitting atop the Division I and Division II polls, respectively.
- In what was a titanic battle of two MCLA powers, the Chapman – Cal-Berkeley game went down to the wire. Watch video highlights from the game by clicking here.
Stuff That’s Not That Boring
View this post on Instagram
This is pretty extreme case of this, but I’ve seen it before. The problem? This shot had some serious velocity and apparently the helmet was on the losing end of that conflict. The cure? Apparently the player just grabbed a new helmet and hopped back in the game with a nice shiner to show for it on his forehead, according to a Twitter account identifying itself as the Grove City College head coach.
Catch your daily Crosse Clicks every weekday for the latest news and updates on lacrosse.