Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about Senior Leadership and what it means to a team. How important is it to have seniors leading a program? At what point does a coach ask his seniors to step up? And most importantly, what is the best way to inspire the seniors on a team to lead?
Personally, I’ve always felt that the authority and effectiveness of team leaders is completely dependent on their own self-confidence. Self-confidence and character. If a senior player is confident in himself and naturally respects his teammates, he’ll ultimately rise to the top as a team leader.
For today’s lesson, let’s play a little game I like to call “Fill In The Blank!” Drop a comment below with your answers and your own thoughts on Senior Leadership for your chance at winning free GTG helmet stickers for your team. The winner will be chosen at my discretion!
Problem 1: Aimless Senior vs. Excited Senior
Aimless Senior walks out onto the field with the rest of his team to play 6 v. 6 towards the end of the practice. He is in the middle of the pack, aimlessly wandering onto the field.
Excited Senior jogs out in front of everyone with his stick up and his head held high. Five underclassmen follow.
This is called ‘leading by example’ and ____________ might as well be named team captain.
Problem 2: Loud Senior vs. Screaming Senior
Loud Senior makes his presence known by directing traffic on the field while positively reinforcing his teammates actions and the instructions of his coach.
Screaming Senior takes personal frustration out on those around him and gets down on his teammates for the mistakes they make.
This is called being a ‘verbal leader’ and ____________ might as well be named team captain.
LACROSSE VIDEO OF THE DAY
No. 5 UMass lacrosse upset at Albany, 9-8 | MassLive.com
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
– Syracuse looking to avoid letdown | Baltimore Sun
– R.I.P. Chad Milosevich, Windso Lacrosse founder/coach | Greeley Tribune
– Chapman Lacrosse Fans | MCLA FAN
– ESPNU Lacrosse Podcast: Stanwick, DeLuca, Keogh and Zimmerman | Inside Lacrosse
– NESCAC Men’s Lacrosse | Top to bottom NESCAC: The definition of parity | Tufts Daily
– Another COOL dye job from the CW. ‘Nuff said. | Lax All Stars
– Well Isn’t That Special? | LacrosseRoads
– Lacrosse Needs Wieden+Kennedy | 412 Lax
– Man-Bro Sunglasses: The Neon Arms Collection | Sweet Sweet Lax
– Humpday’s Happenings & Hyperlinks 3/9/11 | Drofdarb Sports