Rob Pannell Goes To The PLL, NAIA Polls And POTW And More: Crosse Clicks — March 9, 2020
Here is your daily weekday update on the latest on what is happening in the lacrosse world with today’s top lacrosse news. Rob Pannell made his official announcement of heading to the PLL, our weekly NCAA recaps and our NAIA rankings and players of the week.
While the weekend may be over, lacrosse this week certainly is not. Take a look at our broadcast guide for the rest of the week’s games by clicking here.
Read on for the today’s top lacrosse news for March 9.
Today’s Top Lacrosse News: March 9, 2020 — Crosse Clicks
- Cornell took down No. 2 Penn State over the weekend thanks to an almost last-second goal that lifted the Big Red over the Nittany Lions. It was Penn State’s first loss to a team not named the Yale Bulldogs since 2018. Freshmen faceoff midfielder … scored the game-winner with eight seconds left while Jeff Teat had the game tying goal to put Cornell in place to pull off the win. The Big Red were placed at No. 2 in this week’s Inside Lacrosse Media Poll. Read about the game by clicking here.
- Lars Tiffany made his first return to Providence and Brown University as the coach of Virginia Men’s Lacrosse last weekend, and the Bears spoiled his return with a x-x win for Brown. Virginia is coming off of last year’s national title, while Brown hasn’t been in the top 20 at any point this season and hasn’t seen the same success since Tiffany left in 2016. The Bears must have had some serious motivation for getting the win, which you can catch-up on by clicking here.
- If you want to see a few memorable plays from this weekend, check out our video section by clicking here.
- We’ve got our NCAA Women’s recap for last week coming out tomorrow, so stay tuned for that. We’ve listed a few of the highlights and major moments below.
- The University of Virginia fell to Duke by a score of 16-10 in Durham.
- Andrea Cofrin announced her resignation from Columbia Women’s Lacrosse, effective immediately, the university athletic department announced today. Read the release from the university by clicking here.
- Maryland Women’s Lacrosse defeated Hofstra by a score of 16-11 in what was one of the weekend’s top games.
- It’s official. In what was probably the worst-kept secret in pro lacrosse, Rob Pannell officially announced he was heading to the Premier Lacrosse League. Pannell is arguably the best attackman in the world, and will have a great chance to prove himself further playing in the PLL. If you saw the announcement, then you’ll know that Pannell stayed on-brand and was without his shirt for a good chunk of the video. Watch the video and read about it by clicking here.
- Christian Del Bianco had a big game against the Toronto Rock with 45 saves in the winning effort for the Calgary Roughnecks that saw the Riggers take the 13-10 win. The Roughnecks notched the win at home after losing to the Georgia Swarm, 12-13, in the previous game. Calgary has had a 5-5 season thus far after winning the NLL championship in 2019, which is not completely unlike last year’s regular season performance from a win standpoint as the Roughnecks went 10-8 during the regular season before making their league-title playoff run. Read about the game from the NLL by clicking here.
- We’ve released our LaxAllStars NAIA Men’s Lacrosse Rankings today, with Reinhardt solidifying it’s No. 1 ranking with a win over the Keiser Seahawks. Keiser came in at No. 2 in this week’s rankings, with Cumberlands close behind at No. 3 after three 20-point or more explosions in each of its last three games. View this week’s rankings by clicking here.
- This week’s NAIA Players of the Week are Gavin Banks of Reinhardt Men’s Lacrosse and Natalie Wechter of Benedictine Women’s Lacrosse. Both players had big performances this past week and have been major contributors to their respective teams over their careers. View the players of the week by clicking here.
- No. 6 Georgia Tech blasted No. 1 South Carolina last Friday to the tune of a 5-15 stinger that left the Gamecocks reaching for some hydrocortisone. Look for the new MCLA polls to be released this week, but first, catch up on the MCLA league-play over the weekend from Jac Coyne by clicking here.
Stuff That’s Not Boring
Non-Boring Notables (Where We Normally Put Interesting Or Fun Stuff But Decided To Put In A Half-Hearted Effort Today)
- Lacrosse! It’s never boring. (Thank you! You’ve been great everybody. Be sure to tip your server on the way out.
Catch your daily Crosse Clicks every weekday for the today’s top lacrosse news and updates on lacrosse by registering for our email newsletter here.