The talk is all around us. Hype is that disease that keeps on spreading until one day you watch that player – we’ll call him Talk Of The Town, TOTT for short – play on the field and he’s a complete, disastrous disappointment.
TOTT gets mentioned in every conversation, especially when the subject includes “recruiting.” Right? TOTT is going D1 baby! Everyone knows that! And no one cares to wonder if it’s official. Shoot, TOTT’s parents were probably the ones who called the local paper anyway. Gotta watch out for their prodigal son, he loves his lax gear so we know he must be good!
But seriously, it does happen way too much. HYPE, my friends, BLOWS. Because even if there is the slightest truth about TOTT’s talents, he’s still going to be a let down in the end. Success rarely comes for those held to the highest of expectations!
Case in point: This week a staff member had the opportunity to watch a prototypical TOTT play in a summer league game. TOTT played out of position because naturally TOTT can do whatever TOTT wants. He’s the man. However, rather than playing a man’s game, TOTT decided to be childish and headhunt an old man twice his age after said old man got the best of TOTT. And c’mon, we all know real players with real potential don’t mess around looking to headhunt a 45 year old grandmasters player in a summer league game that means absolutely nothing. They play their game. They try to prove themselves with every living moment. Because all that hype is meaningless and worthless if they don’t make it out of their town and onto ESPNU.
This is the type of TOTT who won’t ever leave his town. Was he really worth all that hype?
In Tents Playoffs
NEW & NOTES
– Why We Love Charles Barkley: “I don’t run. I’m on TV every week. I’m easy to find.” | Press Coverage
– Playing for Italy, in England, as Americans | NorthJersey.com
– Lacrosse cradling will be motion of the Ocean City | Delmarva Now
OCEAN CITY – One of the largest lacrosse tournaments on the East Coast will kick off today, as more than 2,000 participants are expected to compete at the 17th annual Ocean City Lacrosse Classic. More than 100 teams from all over the country will invade the beach to take part in the four-day event.
– Rusty Red, Graph Tex repeat as lax champs | Lake Placid News
– NLL to enshrine Kilgour on Sept. 9 | BuffaloNews.com
– Pietramala’s Contract Extended Through 2016 Season | LaxPower
– Penn Lacrosse Announces Recruiting Class of 2014 | LaxPower
– Skidmore Thoroughbreds welcome new Men’s Lacrosse Coach | Saratoga.com
– Tennessee Lacrosse Announces Fall 2010 Recruiting Class | LaxPower
– NY: Ithaca’s Bucci will continue lacrosse career at Georgetown | Ithaca Journal
– PA: Lacrosse gaining steam in world of high school sports in western PA | Your Norwin
– Canada: N.B.’s best in lacrosse off to midget nationals | Telegraph-Journal
– Canada: Shamrocks want more of the same | Times Colonist
N’IMPORTE COMMENT – THE TOXIC AVENGER FEAT ORELSAN
A world overrun by Facebook and ChatRoullete…