It takes a ton of hustle and strength to be a DI middie, no matter which side of the ball you play on. Thomas O’Connell spent four years as a defensive midfielder for the Maryland Terrapins.
Then he played point guard for the St. John’s Red Storm men’s basketball team.
Besides picking up the sport at the age of 5, O’Connell almost seemed destined to play basketball. His grandfather James was a high school referee for more than 30 years, and his grandfather’s brother Andrew played at Niagara. His aunt Theresa graduated from Lafayette ranked fourth in program history in career blocks (124) and eighth in assists (311) and steals (205). An uncle, James, played at Central Connecticut State, and another uncle, Andrew, played at Albany.
But in the eighth grade, Thomas O’Connell dropped baseball for lacrosse, and his prowess with a stick drew the attention of schools such as Army West Point, Michigan, North Carolina and Yale. And when Maryland offered a scholarship to O’Connell while he was a sophomore at Chaminade High School, he agreed to pursue a career in lacrosse over basketball.
For more on Thomas O’Connell, the DI middie turned point guard, check out this Baltimore Sun story by Edward Lee.
Speaking of playing DI middie, have you checked out our Instant Classics lately?[jnews_element_header first_title=”Special LAS Offer” header_type=”heading_5″]
Tooning Out The News on CBS All Access
The new CBS All Access Original Series, from the minds of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert and Our Cartoon President, is now streaming. Watch the premiere free!
Streaming weekdays for a hilarious recap of current events and interviews with real-world guests and newsmakers.
Around The World
- With bright future, GL boys lacrosse continues work in midst of pandemic
- Midland Lacrosse Club cancels spring season, plans to ‘re-launch’ 989 Summer Lacrosse program
- Landon School Player, Pilot Delivers Medical Supplies
- College Crosse’s 2020 All-Freshmen selections
- For lacrosse coach Bern Donahue, joining Wyomissing’s state championship football team was a snap
- TryLax: Easy Access, Instant Credibility
- Dan Richardson, Vancouver Warriors GM: Lacrosse Classified, Ep. 74