Editor’s note: Cristina Alesci and Shannon Liao from CNN Business report on the Tsai Foundation’s recent donation to the State of New York. Joe Tsai, co-founder of Alibaba, is an owner in the PLL and NLL.
Joe Tsai, the billionaire co-founder of Chinese ecommerce giant Alibaba, and his wife Clara Wu Tsai, have donated 2.6 million masks, 170,000 goggles and 2000 ventilators to New York — the US epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic.
The supplies were split into two shipments. The first arrived on Thursday at Newark Liberty International Airport, while the second arrived on Saturday at John F. Kennedy International Airport.
Clara Tsai told CNN:
We kept hearing cries for (personal protective equipment) from our community and wanted to help The state will allocate the second shipment but “it’s our intention to help the most underserved institutions.
She cited Jacobi Medical Center and Lincoln Medical Center in the Bronx, and Elmhurst Hospital in Queens as the institutions she and her husband thought might need the supplies the most.
Cuomo, during a Saturday briefing, said:
I want to thank Joe Tsai, and Clara Tsai, and Jack Ma from Alibaba. “This is a big deal and it’s going to make a significant difference for us.
Hospitals in New York and across the country have been scrambling to find enough ventilators, masks and other protective gear needed for healthcare workers to battle the virus, which has killed about 60,000 people worldwide.
The Tsais have considerable ties to the New York community.
Related stories about Joe Tsai:
- Nets’ Tsai helps facilitate donation of 1,000 ventilators for New York
- Brooklyn Nets owner Joe Tsai donates ventilators to New York amid coronavirus pandemic
- NBA, Knicks, Nets team up to contribute 1 million surgical masks to New York workers
Around the world today:
- Haverford High’s Mia Ciancio is Main Line Girls Athlete of the Week
- Girls lacrosse On the Fly: Q&A with North Salem’s Jenna Shaughnessy
- Bowdoin’s Hasson named CWSA D-III Basketball Player of the Year – Portland Press Herald
- Seven Cornellians Named Men’s Lacrosse All-Americans
- Hammerheads lacrosse season on hold due to coronavirus pandemic
- High school boys lacrosse 2020: Breaking down the independent squads
- Jude Brown Tabbed 2020 Maverik Men’s Lacrosse DIII Media All-American – The Southern Maryland Chronicle
- Trio of Ohio State men’s lacrosse seniors decide to come back for another season
How COVID-19 is affecting Lacrosse:
National Lacrosse League Elects to Shift Attention to Next Season Decision Made After Lengthy Discussions and Scenarios Considered Philadelphia, June...
Lacrosse All Stars has teamed up with Justin Skaggs at Wood Lacrosse Sticks, the Kohelet yeshiva school in Pennsylvania, and the...
The Women’s Professional Lacrosse (WPLL) announced today that it will cancel its 2020 season, which was scheduled to begin on...
The Premier Lacrosse League (PLL) has announced that the league will postpone the start of its 2020 season due to the...