This season I’m a 1st year assistant coach at my alma mater, Bishop Kelly High School in Boise, ID. Yesterday evening our coaching staff met in the locker room after an open field scrimmage to discuss tryouts, which begin this Friday. We spent time planning out the entire first day of tryouts, and I think we have a solid handle on things. However, it got me wondering…
What drills do most high school coaches focus on during Day #1 of tryouts?
I know there are quite a few coaches who read LAS on a daily basis and I’m sure many of you are seasoned veterans when it comes to assessing talent and making cuts. It’d be interesting to hear from you about how you go about Day #1 – often times assessing kids you’ve never seen play before – and what techniques or drills you use to narrow down your Varsity selections.
Personally, as a defensive coach I’ll be keeping a heavy eye on stick skills, positioning and communication during day one. Regardless of size or seniority, I want to make sure each defensive player knows the basics. A tendency to constantly hustle during practice won’t hurt their chances either!
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
- Playing Lax Later: For Those Players New To The Game | Lax All Stars
- AIG Ended Up Having To Pay Millions For The Duke Lacrosse Stripper Lawsuit | Business Insider
- Aurora University lacrosse program prepares for inaugural year | The Beacon-News
- Delaware men’s lacrosse: Hens no match for lax legends | DelawareOnline
- NLL: Rough times for Roughnecks | Calgary.tv
- Tavares and Grant named NLL all-star captains | TheStar.com
- MCLA: Gaels storm back in second half comeback | SMC Collegian
- Getting To Know The Charlotte 49ers | MCLA FAN
- 2012 MCLA Tournament – A Decision’s Odyssey | MCLA FAN
- The Morning Report: Hosted by Alabama’s Helmets | 412 Lax
- Wednesday With Shagi Brought To You By Shelden Williams | LacrosseRoads
- Drofdarb’s Favorite NBA Dunk Contest Dunks 2011 | Drofdarb Sports
- TLA Insider: Impact’s Challenger Hall | Thailand Lacrosse
- Things We’d Buy | 412 Lax
- Theophilus London – Flying Overseas