Editor’s Note: Today’s Crosse Clicks is brought to you by GameStop. Get more memory for you smartphones, tablets or gaming devices by stocking up on the SanDisk Ultra 64 GB microSD cards (adapter included) at GameStop by clicking here. Need more memory? Buy the 128 GB card by clicking here. The included SD adapter also let’s you use these versatile products for SD compatible cameras, so rest easy knowing you’ll have plenty of room to photograph your child’s lacrosse game.
Here is your daily weekday update on the latest on what is happening in the lacrosse world with today’s top lacrosse news. Amherst cancelled both of its men’s and women’s lacrosse seasons, the Premier Lacrosse League announced a list of 16 new players entering the 2020 Entry Draft pool including players like Dillon Ward and Rob Pannell — following yesterday’s announcement for the star attackman — in a move that brings more talent to the pro lacrosse league and Maryland Women’s Lacrosse swept the Big Ten Players of the Week honors on today’s Crosse Clicks.
While the weekend may be over, lacrosse this week certainly is not. Take a look at our broadcast guide for the rest of the week’s games by clicking here.
Read on for today’s top lacrosse news for March 11 on Crosse Clicks.
Today’s Top Lacrosse News: March 11, 2020 — Crosse Clicks
- The big story of yesterday was Amherst canceling both of its men’s and women’s lacrosse seasons in the wake of the coronavirus. The school announced that as of March 11, spring sports will no longer compete while the school’s winter athletes would finish out their seasons. This is a precaution that was taken by the athletic department “until the situation with COVID-19 becomes clearer,” according to the school’s athletics website. Some schools across the country — like grade schools in Seattle — are already closing their buildings to help prevent the spread of disease among their students. Public Health Seattle is not currently recommending that schools close unless there has been a confirmed case with one of their students, faculty or staff. While the coronavirus is not completely understood at this point, the United Nations reported yesterday that there have been around 110,000 reported cases and over 3,800 deaths worldwide. Testing for the disease has been an issue in the United States, as reported by The Atlantic. It will remain to be seen how this affects the remainder of the spring college athletics season. Read the full release from the Amherst athletics website about canceling its lacrosse seasons by clicking here.
- Ryan Conwell showed us his Inside Lacrosse Media Poll ballot for the poll released on Monday. He’s got a few thoughts as to where teams should be ranked, including Cornell as the No. 1 team in the country. Check out his ballot and his reasons by clicking here.
- Ohio State and Notre Dame Men’s Lacrosse were featured in our LaxAllStars Game of the Day, which saw Ohio State win 13-11 over the Fighting Irish. Tre Leclaire had a monster game with five goals and an assist on eight shots for Ohio State, while Bryan Costabile had two goals and an assist for the Irish in the loss.
- Maryland Women’s Lacrosse’s Brindi Griffin and Maddie McSalley were named Big Ten Offensive and Defensive Players of the Week for the Terps’ wins over Navy and Hofstra. Read more about the news by clicking here.
- The PLL announced a list of 16 players joining the league pool for the upcoming 2020 Entry Draft. On the list were Rob Pannell, who made his official announcement yesterday, and others like Zach Currier and Dillon Ward. It’s a boost for the league’s talent, and should make play more competitive than it already is. Read about the news by clicking here.
- Maybe a few hours late, but never short on anything, this week’s Lacrosse Classified podcast episode had Todd Labranche, NLL Crew Chief of social media fame, on the show in what was a first for the podcast with hosts Jake Elliott and Evan Schemenauer. Ben McIntosh of the Saskatchewan Rush also joined the show and gave some great thoughts on … . Listen to the full podcast by clicking here, or find it on iTunes or Spotify.
- NAIA contributor Nick Zoroya is itching to release next week’s NAIA Men’s Lacrosse rankings, as seen below:
Indiana tech over Benedictine on a Tuesday means I have to wait 6 days to move around my @LaxAllStars naia top ten. Keiser vs LTU on Thursday is going to be👌
— Nick Zoroya (@NicholasZoroya) March 10, 2020
Catch up on this week’s rankings by clicking here.
- No. 6 Georgia Tech blasted No. 1 South Carolina last Friday to the tune of a 5-15 stinger that left the Gamecocks reaching for some hydrocortisone. Look for the new MCLA polls to be released this week, but first, catch up on the MCLA league-play over the weekend from Jac Coyne by clicking here.
Catch your daily Crosse Clicks every weekday for the today’s top lacrosse news and updates on lacrosse by registering for our email newsletter here.